Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cape Griffon vulture

Canon 40d, ISO 400
f 2.8 @ 1/1600

TWO weeks ago I went to St Augustine Alligator Farm hoping to find some hatching birds. There were plenty, all most all trees have one or more nests with eggs. I carried only 70-200 2.8 and a body. Seeing many photographers there with their longer glasses I was thinking, may be I should get a 1.4x or 2x converter next time. While walking near the vulture camp found this one spreading her wings. I walked near and took a few shots before she closed her wings. When I turned back, there was a photographer walking back trying to get a shot. As she closed her wings, he took the body away from his eye, and said, smiling, 'lucky ah.. too bad I brought a 400'.

3 comments:

  1. :-) Was actually going to post the picture we took of the same bird a few months ago. And, yes, we often feel our telephoto lens is not quite long enough for birding, and think about getting a longer lens or a converter or atleast rent one. Nice shot btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice capture. I see the tag on its right leg. My wife and I went to Alligator Farm in Jan. It was rainy that day, and not much activity. Found some birds on the trees. We have a 70-200 F/4 non IS.

    What other locations do you guys go to for birding? We recently discovered a couple of places in Lakeland, and I have to say we were happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chetana, Pavan,

    Thanks. Except Jax zoo and the Alligator farm I haven't been to any place for birds or wildlife yet. CB Rao - who is now in west coast - in one of the offline message, showed interest for an Everglades trip. Hopefully we can make it some time this year.

    ReplyDelete